Sunday, July 29, 2007

On World Building

One of the aspects I most enjoy about writing is creating believable yet strange worlds for my MCs to roam. When creating a culture, I like to throw in contradictions or idiosyncracies that add interest to the setting, just as it does with characters. Having the ability to manipulate a universe is one of the joys of writing Fantasy or Sci-Fi.

Creating many layers for a fictional culture is what helps bring it to life. History, religions, traditions and laws can shape a civilization just as effectively as the climate or terrain of the world. Laws and traditions can be a powerful influence, even when the meaning or reason behind them has been lost.

On Draxis, it's the universal religion of the planet that dictates all weapons must be primitive (in stark contrast to their advanced aerospace technologies, genetics and other sciences). Their traditions often clash with their scientific knowledge. Not unlike Earth, in that regard. ;)

6 comments:

Flick said...

Very cool, Laurie. Now stop playing and get writing!!You're as bad as me for getting distracted only my distractions are less interesting!

Laurie said...

LOL Busted, Flick. OK, I'll be good.

::: tackles revisions :::

Kimber An said...

Cool spinning cube! Now, I've got to have one. Looking forward to Draxis. This time, you're submitting that novel!

Laurie said...

I think you can just click on the spinning cube, Kimber and it should connect you with the site. PictureTrail, I think it is?

Tia Nevitt said...

Primitive as in you can use only flint knives and atl-atls and similar weapons? Or can they at least use steel-forged weapons?

Religion has done many a stranger thing, as I know we have all seen in real life.

Thanks for the link!

Laurie said...

Hi Tia. Glad you stopped by.

Weapons of cold-forged steel are allowed, but no projectile type weapons, not even spears. My Draxians live by a very odd set of laws. Well, from our perspective, anyway. :)

Draxis World Building