Monday, August 13, 2007

Spoilers: The Struggle Between Too Little and Too Much

Some thoughts after reactivating the Draxian Trilogy blog:


How much do I share about the story without spoiling the plot for future readers?


A thin line, that.


There is so much for the reader to discover in this story about the characters, their world and their journey that I think it best left to the future read. On the other hand, I'd hope to spur a potential readership with intriguing clues that generate interest in the myths and theories that comprise the backstory.


Some of my fellow bloggers who are already published authors post excerpts from their novels that ended up on the cutting room floor. I don't have that luxury (yet) but I do have enough drafts stored on my hard drive that I can offer you plenty of extricated scenes; ones that I'm quite confident an editor or agent will never see.


Hopefully, it will be enough to give my site visitors a taste of my style and voice without spoilers and without ruining the experience of discovering the world of Draxis.

Thoughts?

Buehler? Buehler? Anybody? Anybody? :)

2 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing at my Third Time a Dreamer blog. I have this scene that I call "the aqueduct scene" that I've tried to work into my novel twice, but it ain't working. However, I think it gives a good hint of my writing style and I was thinking about posting it.

Laurie said...

Let me know if you post it, Tia. I'd love to read it.

Draxis World Building